No solids before 6 months!

For anyone thinking of going the Baby Led Solids route, or the homemade baby food route, or the store bought baby food route, this is important information:

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

* World Health Organization
* UNICEF
* US Department of Health & Human Services
* American Academy of Pediatrics (breastfeeding group)
* American Academy of Family Physicians
* American Dietetic Association
* Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
* Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
* Health Canada

You are not starving your baby if you wait until the 6 month mark (with readiness signs!) and your baby will not sleep longer if you fill them up more (common myth!) - so listen to the experts out there!

I am quite aware that this post comes when my little flower is 20 months old and I am 8 months pregnant, so not timely at all, it's just that it really irks me when we see babies being stuffed with food or other liquids when all these organizations say that it's NOT SAFE AND NOT RECOMMENDED! We understand a parent's right to chose (what they feel is right) when it comes to stuff like cloth or not, co-sleep or not, pacifier or not, daycare or nanny, but when it comes to things that are either unsafe (no or uncorrect car seat, solids before 6 months), or take away a baby's rights (circumcision) I will speak out.

We'll be going the baby led solids route again for baby #2 - only 8 more weeks to go, excited and nervous!!

5 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your posts. Congrats on your new baby too. I haven't always done the baby led solids but recently did w/baby # 5. It has taken me 5 kids to realize what they are suppose to eat and when. You'd think I'd be an expert by now but I'm not bc I have always listened to Drs and my mom. You'd think that your mom knows best too. I mean she raised you and your fine so why not! Well my mom likes to sneak drinks of coke and other pops to my babies when I am not around.It's sad also bc when they see my mom w/a glass the look up at her and open their mouths like a little birdie bc they know what she has and they know that she will give it to them. But she doesn't dare give it to them in front of me so when the baby opens up to get a drink and my mom doesn't give it to them they start crying then I am left feeling like I am the mean one and my mom shames me! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Nikki. To be honest, I would be furious if I were you. Maybe you could take all soft drinks out of your house that way, when she comes over, there is none available. Parents, and grandparents are supposed to set a healthy example for kids, not get them addicted to crap. Kids drink enough pop when they get older, teach them to love water when they are babies!
    5 kids! You must have your hands full - good luck with everything. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice concept about the solid babies food.Thank you for sharing..
    starting solids babies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info! My little baby girl is about to get to that point and I want to do it just right, and when the time is right. So, this is very helpful. And yes, I assumed it might get a little messy!
    starting solids babies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Important info! Thanks for posting and for a great blog! I just posted today about our recent foray into Baby Led Weaning: http://ithoughtiknewmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/baby-food-be-gone-our-successful-first.html
    I'm your newest follower and found you via BlogHer :-)

    ReplyDelete